June 3, 2015
National Parents Organization has been featured in the media more than 50 times in the past two months — an accomplishment that brings significant attention to the organization’s shared parenting and parental equality advocacy efforts.
These publicity wins have included prominent stories on shared parenting in some of the nation’s most influential news outlets, including TIME magazine and The Wall Street Journal. In addition NPO members’ opinion pieces on family court reform legislation have landed in publications throughout the nation, and numerous news outlets covered NPO’s Parental Alienation Awareness Day involvement as well as other efforts.
Highlights from NPO’s publicity efforts in the past two months include:
- TIME magazine featured Ned Holstein, National Parents Organization Founder and Board Chair, as a shared parenting expert in the story, “This Divorce Arrangement Stresses Kids Out Most.” The article highlighted a recent, 150-000-person study supporting shared parenting, and after the TIME story hit, numerous other outlets, including Good Housekeeping, MSN and CBS DC included Holstein’s comments on the study.
- The Wall Street Journal tapped Don Hubin, National Parents Organization Board Member, as a source in the story, “Big Shift Pushed in Custody Disputes,” which revealed nearly 20 states are considering shared parenting legislation. Following the story, Hubin was selected for a WGN Plus discussion on the reform efforts.
- The National Review published an op-ed by NPO’s Ned Holstein, “Sole custody should not be the norm following divorce or separation.”
- An op-ed by NPO Board Member Robert Franklin, titled “Children Need Both Parents Even after Divorce,” was published by the National Review as well as multiple other outlets, including The Detroit News, The Cap Times in Madison, Wisconsin, and the Fairfax Times in Reston, Virginia.
- A shared parenting bill passed in Utah, leading multiple television, radio and print news outlets to interview Dan Deuel of NPO’s Utah affiliate. Duel’s extensive media tour included a segment with Salt Lake City’s CBS TV affiliate, titled “Non-custodial parents can seek more visitation time with new law,” as well as on-camera interviews with the local FOX, ABC and Univision affiliates. In addition, Deuel’s radio interviews led to the local NPR story “New Law Seeks Custody Equality for Divorce Cases,” and his newspaper interviews included a conversation with The Daily Herald in Provo, Utah, that was included in the article, “New law gives separated parents chance at more time with kids.” Also, Deuel’s op-ed on the new law, titled “Shared parenting law puts Utah at forefront of progress,” was published by the Salt Lake Tribune.
- Multiple papers in northern Massachusetts published a newspaper staff editorial supportive of Massachusetts’ rewrite of its child custody statute, and the editorial quoted NPO’s Ned Holstein. For instance, the Gloucester Times in Gloucester, Massachusetts, published the editorial, “Child custody bill merits lawmakers’ full consideration.”
- The Salem News in Salem, Massachusetts, quoted NPO’s Ned Holstein in the story, “Advocates push for shared parenting in divorce cases.” Other papers in the newspaper group also ran the story.
- Parental Alienation Awareness Day press efforts included a story in Examiner.com titled, “National Parents Organization observes Parental Alienation Awareness Day,”that quoted Robert Franklin of NPO.
- In Pennsylvania, Stephen Meehan of NPO’s state affiliate organized a Parental Alienation Awareness Day rally that resulted in media coverage including the local FOX TV affiliate story, “People rally for parental equality in Harrisburg,” and the CBS Radio story, “Parental Alienation Awareness Day rally planned.”
- California business and politics news publication Fox & Hounds ran an op-ed by Curtis Vandermolen of NPO, titled “Parental Equality Post-Divorce Offers Solution to Gender Pay Inequality.” Suburban Los Angeles community newspaper group EGP News also published the piece.
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer in Cleveland, Ohio, published an op-ed by NPO’s Don Hubin, “Ohio legislators should support shared parenting and parental equality.”
- NPO’s Christian Paasch authored the op-ed, “Celebrate mom and dad — without selling either short,” for the Fairfax Times in Fairfax, Virginia. His piece was also published by several other outlets including Suffolk News Herald, Ashburn Rising, the Fairfax Times, TargetedNewsServices, The Connection and Meridian Magazine.
- South Carolina’s Statehouse Report published the op-ed, “Shared parenting would fix family courts,” by Paul Clements of National Parents Organization.
- The Virginian-Pilot published an op-ed by NPO’s Kristen Leadbeater, “Virginia has a chance to lead on parental leave.”
- The Lexington Minuteman, Lexington, Massachusetts, published an op-ed by Michael McGuirk of NPO, “Child-centered divorce court reform deserves legislative support.”
We’re excited about these media wins and look forward to continuing the positive press momentum!