our-blog-icon-top
"[I]t"s just one of those things you can"t put any value on...There"s no price to be paid. It"s a debt that will never be able to be repaid.' From Hero nanny badly burned while saving boy, 5 (TODAYshow.com, 3/26/10):
The young woman sat in a wheelchair, her feet swaddled in special bandages for burns, her right arm and hand also heavily bandaged. Snuggling under her left arm was a 5-year-old boy who looked up at her frequently and from time to time caressed her fingers. This was Friday morning, three days since the boy, Aden Hawes, had last seen his nanny, Alyson Myatt. Which was just after she had run barefoot through a wall of flames to save his life. "I love her so much,' Aden told TODAY"s Ann Curry Friday from Kentucky"s University of Louisville Hospital, where the heroic nanny is recovering from burns she received during the courageous rescue. "I miss her when she"s gone.' The words made the 22-year-old Myatt smile and choke back a tear or two. That was something she found herself doing frequently as she recounted how she awoke Tuesday morning to find the house on fire and Aden trapped in his room with flames running through the carpeted hallway outside his door. Fire officials said there"s no question that Myatt"s fearless actions saved Aden"s life and allowed him to come through the experience unscathed. J.B. Hawes, a single parent who hired Myatt two months ago to be a live-in nanny, joined her and Aden at the hospital and choked back some tears of his own. He had been in Minnesota on business when the fire broke out and rushed home Tuesday. "I came straight to the hospital and saw her on the bed,' Hawes said. "To realize what she did, saved my son"s life, you can"t thank someone for that. There"s nothing you can do to repay them for taking that kind of a risk"... ...at 6 a.m. Myatt awoke to a crashing boom and wailing smoke alarms. The booming sound was that of the fan falling out of the ceiling and hitting the floor after catching fire again. Myatt jumped out of bed and rushed upstairs in her bare feet. "I just saw flames all down the hallway and the bathroom door was on fire, because I hadn"t shut the bathroom door before this big fire, so there was no way to avoid the flames,' Myatt told Curry. "But before I had even looked at the fire or anything, I was yelling for Aden. He said he was in his room underneath the covers.' To get to him, Myatt had to run through the burning carpeting with nothing on her feet. "I didn"t even think about me getting hurt or getting burned,' Myatt said. "I really didn"t even think that I was barefoot. I was just yelling for Aden and I ran and got him. All of it happened really quick.' "To physically run through flames is heroics to the nth degree,' Shelbyville Fire Chief Willard Tucker told The Courier-Journal newspaper. "To make a choice to charge right through flames is kind of above what are normal heroics.' When she got to carpet that wasn"t burning, Myatt realized that her feet were in pain she described as excruciating. "It was like I was walking on goo "cause all the skin. My feet were just burned off,' she told NBC affiliate WAVE 3 in Louisville... If Myatt had called the fire department and waited for them to rescue Aden, the boy would be dead, Chief Tucker said. Aden"s father told Curry that officials told him that Myatt"s rescue came literally in the nick of time. "There was only one minute left,' Hawes said, before the flames would have ended Aden"s life. Pictures of the house show a forest of charred studs where the upstairs hallway and Aden"s room used to be. The entire upstairs was consumed, and the house looks like a total loss. "There"s no words to put how grateful I am to have my son with me, how grateful I am to have Alyson in our world, and it"s just one of those things you can"t put any value on,' Hawes said. "There"s no price to be paid. It"s a debt that will never be able to be repaid.'

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn