June 25, 2014
By Rita Fuerst Adams, National Executive Director, National Parents Organization

Recently Vicki Turetsky, Commissioner, Office of Child Support Enforcement, issued a Dear Colleague Letter (below), announcing the release of its guide: Changing a Child Support Order. National Parents Organization is reproducing her letter below with links to resources provided. It is a thorough guide to changing child support orders with information for every state. There is a particular emphasis on those who are or have been incarcerated. It is a good place for every parent to start who is paying or receiving child support.

In addition to this, National Parents Organization continues to expand its Information Resources on our website. Within this section are: Forms and Documents and Frequently Asked Questions. In Forms and Documents you will find links to the forms used in every state for divorce, alimony, and child custody. In the Frequently Asked Questions, we have begun to post and answer many of the questions our family law attorneys tell us they answer most often.  Within this is information on shared parenting that parents may use in their cases and that our volunteers may use in their lobbying in their state.

The Information Resources section is being expanded monthly. Keep returning to see what else is new.


DATE: June 17, 2014
RE: Changing a Child Support Order Guide
ATTACHMENT: Changing a Child Support Order
Dear Colleague:

It is my pleasure to announce the release of the “Changing a Child Support Order” guide, which includes accompanying state-specific modules. The guide offers information to help parents, and people who work with parents, better understand the child support review and modification process. It explains how parents can request to have their child support order changed when their financial situation changes. Parents, and others, can find phone numbers, websites, and forms to help start the modification process.

I encourage you to share the guide with parents and stakeholders. There are two parts of the guide — the introductory overview, attached here, and the interactive map that links to specific instructions for each state and territory. All of the guide materials are available at

This resource is for people who are not familiar with the child support program. As such, it highlights the message that if a parent has a significant change in their income or living situation, and they have a case with a child support office, it is important to contact that child support office as soon as possible to ensure that the child support order is accurate with regard to the new circumstance. Some information in the guide focuses on how incarcerated parents can ask to have a child support order changed. But the information applies for anyone who is interested in finding out how to have an order changed. Much of this guide relates to changes handled by child support agencies, although some state-specific information addresses court processes.

As part of OCSE’s work on the Federal Interagency Reentry Council workgroup, and through partnership with the Bureau of Prisons, every federal correctional facility will display hard copies of the guide. Plus, OCSE’s new compilation of reentry resources is here: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/css/resource/reentry. Thank you for your efforts to support parents’ successful reentry.

If you have questions about a specific child support program or practice, please contact that program directly. You may also contact your regional representative. For questions about the guide, please contact Adrienne Noti, Division of Program Innovation, at [email protected].


Vicki Turetsky
Office of Child Support Enforcement
Administrating for Children and Families
United States Department of Health and Human Services

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn